Thursday 9 March 2017

English 10: Blocks 1/2 and 5/6

We are at the end of our unit on short stories and short texts, so we will be having a test next Tuesday. I had students divided in groups and started creating review questions, which we'll use to study on Monday. Students also read "My Left Foot" independently and completed an analysis chart.

Reminders:
  • Short Story Test: Tuesday, March 14, 2017


English 10
Sightlines 10 Test Review

Terms:
·      Plot
·      Parts of plot  (introduction, initial incident, rising action, climax, denouement/
conclusion/resolution)
·      Setting
·      Flashback
·      Types of conflict
·      Foreshadowing


·      Mood
·      Atmosphere
·      Tone
·      Protagonist
·      Antagonist
·      Characterization
·      Theme
·      Suspense
·      Types of characters (round/flat/stock/
dynamic/static)
·      Narrative hook
·      Narrative twist
·      Situational irony
·      Verbal Irony
·      Dramatic Irony
·      P.O.V. (first person, second person, third person objective, third person limited, third person omniscient)


Stories:
“Terrible Things” by Eve Bunting
“Lather and Nothing Else” by Hernando Tellez
 “My Body is My Own Business” by Sultana Yusufali
“My Body” Comic Strip
“I’m Not My Brother; I’m Me” by Peg Kehret
“The Face In The Pool” by Mary Pope Osborne
“My Left Foot” by Christy Brown
“Borders” by Thomas King
 “Warren Pryor” By Alden Nowlan
“Nonconformist” by Angela Shelf Medearis
 “This is a Test” by Stephen Gregg
“How to Act If You Do Not Want to Be Called On” by Delia Ephron
“The Landlady” by Roald Dahl
“Harrison Bergeron” by Kurt Vonnegut
“The Raven” by Edgar Allen Poe