Tuesday 10 February 2015

English 11

I am very excited to be teaching this course! English 11 is amazing, and I'm not just being biased.

I started off class today by introducing myself and talking a bit about my background.  Students then filled out a survey (to help me learn a bit more about them). We proceeded to go over the course outline and the expectations of the class.

We mainly talked about the major themes in English 11: Tragedy and the Tragic Hero, Good vs. Evil, Gothic Horror, and Power. We also watched the NFB video "Neighbours", which encompasses all of the major themes. I know it is quirky, but many of you found it entertaining. I arranged chart paper with the major themes around the classroom; students circulating the room, writing down people, characters, movies, or thoughts that connected to that theme specifically. We then discussed it as a class.

To conclude the day, we read the short story "Identities". We will be continuing with this next class.