Wednesday 7 January 2015

English 10: Blocks 1/2

Thank you so much for your wonderful work ethic today! There was a lot of writing/reading involved and you did great!

We started off class with a lesson on commonly confused words (ex. there/they're/there). I then did a lesson on the evaluation of essays and compositions. To start off, I handed out the Written-Reading Response Rubric and the Writing Rubric for the English Provincial Exam. I then handed back the compare/contrast essays for our Sightlines unit and displayed two 'good' student examples on the projector. As a class, we evaluated the structure of the essays, the vocabulary, the integration of quotes, etc.

Secondly, I handed back your practice compositions for the theme "we are the products of our choices". I also displayed a 'good' example for this composition on the projector and we evaluated it as a class. As practice, I assigned another in-class composition with the topic "the lessons we learn affect our future". I gave students 45 minutes to write this composition.

For the second half of the period, we discussed page 1-26 questions for the novel Speak, read up to page 68, and worked on corresponding questions. I also gave students time to work on their poetry assignment: a poem (18 lines) on 'cliques'.

Reminders:
  • Speak Study Questions (pages 46-68) :due Friday, Jan. 6, 2015
  • Poetry Assignment on 'Cliques': due Friday, Jan. 6, 2015